You’ve said “I Do,” shared the first kiss as Mr. and Mrs., danced it out on the dance floor, and cut the cake. The wedding has come and gone, but what’s next? For many newlyweds, changing their name after the wedding is a big step towards officially entering married life. However, this process can often be confusing, overwhelming, and time-consuming. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the steps to changing your name after the wedding so you can start your happily ever after journey on the right foot.

1) Get Your Marriage Certificate:

The first step in changing your name after the wedding is to get a copy of your marriage certificate. Usually, you will receive a physical copy or an electronic version of this document from the person who officiated the wedding ceremony. However, if this was not provided to you, you can obtain it from the county clerk’s office where your marriage license was filed.

2) Update Social Security Card:

Once you’re back from your honeymoon and ready to make things official, it’s time to notify the government. The first step in changing your name after the wedding is updating your Social Security card. You’ll need to fill out an application for a new card and provide documents that prove both your identity as well as the change in your name. Typically, this includes a certified copy of your marriage certificate and driver’s license or passport. At this time, update your vehicle title and registration information.

3) Notify the DMV:

After updating your Social Security information, you’ll need to notify the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Each state has its own requirements for changing a driver’s license’s name, so check with your local DMV for specific instructions. In general, you’ll need to provide the same documents that were required to update your Social Security card.

4) Update Your Passport:

If you plan on traveling internationally after marriage, updating your passport as soon as possible is important. As with the other government agencies, you must provide a certified copy of your marriage certificate and current passport. If you have upcoming travel plans, it may be worth paying for expedited service to get your new passport sooner.

5) Change Your Name on Important Documents:

Once you have updated your Social Security card, driver’s license, and passport, you’ll need to notify other institutions of your name change. This includes:

    • bank accounts,
    • credit card companies,
    • insurance providers,
    • utility companies,
    • voter registration,
    • United States Postal Service (USPS),
    • and any other organizations that have your personal information. 

You may need to provide a certified copy of your marriage certificate and fill out any necessary forms or paperwork.

Changing your name after the wedding can be a lengthy process, so it’s essential to be patient and organized. Keep track of what documents you have updated, who you have notified, and any deadlines or fees associated with the changes.

Congratulations on your marriage! Update your social media profiles, order new monogrammed towels, and embrace your new identity as a married couple. Cheers to your happily ever after!