The Do’s and Don’ts of Hiring a Band or DJ
Think about the best time you ever had at a wedding. The music sets the tone of the ceremony and can make or break the party at the reception. What suits your taste- a live band or a DJ? An exceptional DJ is better than hiring an “okay” band. A great live band brings excitement and energy but may have a limited repertoire. What is your budget? How much space does your venue have? Do your research on the pros and cons of a live band vs. a DJ. Often, a band is preferred if the guest list is mostly over the age of 40 or if most of the guests don’t dance, while the younger generation will lean more toward a DJ. Getting your guests to interact on the dance floor will bring excitement, fun, and lasting memories of your celebration. Your music should not be the place you cut corners.
- Ask for referrals from other wedding couples.
- Meet the DJ or band to gauge their personality and style and how it meshes with your visions.
- Make sure the DJ or bandleader can read your crowd and make spontaneous changes to keep the dance floor full and everyone happy.
- Look for a DJ or bandleader who can emcee and help announce special moments such as special dances, cake cutting, and toasts.
- The entertainers you select should have their own strengths as well as being open to your ideas and input.
- Make a do and a don’t playlist.
- Ask if the DJ or band will take song requests.
- If something goes wrong with the equipment, what is the backup plan?
- Make sure the entertainers you choose are experienced and respected in the wedding circuit.
- Take time to see the DJ or band perform live.
- Ask about their attire to see if it is appropriate for the formal or informal impression you desire at your wedding.
- Meet with the DJ or band in advance of the wedding to decide the specific details for your big day.
- Find out what the DJ or band will need from you for their setup. Keep them close to the dance floor so the guests will stay engaged.
- Ask how long it will take to set up, do a soundcheck, and review the itinerary before the guests arrive.
- Get a written contract that itemizes all the crucial details.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to book your talent.
At Molto Bella we love seeing our couples’ different personalities come out in their music choices. I hope this list helps you get ready to pick out a DJ or Band that will bring out your personalities!