When wedding planning is in full motion, we all want to cut costs in each area as much as possible without jeopardizing the wedding of our dreams. One area that couples often struggle with is cutting costs on food. You want to ensure that your wedding day menu is perfect for you and your guests, but you also don’t want to spend a fortune.
Here are a few tips to help you save on food for your wedding:
- Buffet: One way to save on wedding food is to opt for a buffet instead of a sit-down meal. This option is often more affordable because you don’t have to pay for servers, and you can reduce the amount of food you need since guests can take what they want and come back for seconds if they’re still hungry.
- Potluck: For a less formal and intimate gathering of friends and family, you could ask your guests to bring a dish to share. This is excellent if you have talented cooks as wedding guests! Just be sure to coordinate with your guests ahead of time, so you don’t end up with too many desserts or not enough main dishes. (Tip: We’ve attended a wedding that had a soup potluck, it was so unique and delicious!)
- Appetizer Reception: Depending on your ceremony and reception time, you could opt for an appetizer reception. This is less expensive than a full meal and can be just as filling if you choose the right appetizers.
- Dessert Reception: Another option is to have a dessert reception instead of a full meal. This is an excellent option if you want to save on food but still give your guests something sweet to enjoy. You could even have a homemade dessert table by electing family members or close friends to bring their signature dessert. This can cut your cost to nearly free!
- Lunch or Brunch: If you’re getting married during the day, you could have a lunch or brunch reception. This is typically cheaper than dinner and can be just as special.
- A Combination Plate: A combination plate for a sit-down meal can save money by eliminating a choice of entrée. The chef will not have to buy extra food in case of some guests changing their minds. (Tip: Keep the number of the courses to 2-3.)
Regarding wedding food, doing your research can save you a lot of money. Compare prices from different caterers and wedding venues, and get quotes for the menu items you’re considering. This will help you find the best deal possible for your wedding day.
Saving money on food for your wedding doesn’t have to be complicated. With some planning and creativity, you can create an affordable and delicious menu!
We know how many people and businesses are required to pull off your event. We have created a directory of vendors to make your planning a little easier. View our directory here.